High-end central air conditioners provide efficient cooling all summer long, as long as they have the best A/C features available today. Advanced technology enables air conditioners to achieve higher seasonal energy efficiency ratios (SEER) than ever before. In 2006, the minimum SEER rating increased from 10 to 13. Today, though, SEER ratings can reach the mid-20s.
A high SEER rating means lower energy bills, improved comfort and Energy Star endorsement indicating features for convenience and durability. When shopping around for a new air conditioner, look for at least 16 SEER. Such high efficiency is possible thanks to the following advanced A/C features:
- Thermal expansion valve: When the temperature skyrockets, this valve opens wide to let as much refrigerant through as possible. The system senses when cooling needs are lower and closes the valve partway to constrict refrigerant flow and save energy.
- Variable-speed air handler: The air handler pumps cooled air through the ductwork and into your home. A variable-speed version adds flexibility to the system, allowing it to operate on high and low when needed. This prevents hot and cold spots and allows for longer cycles that reduce wear and tear on the system.
- Fan-only switch: Air circulation’s usually enough to keep you cool at night. A fan-only switch creates airflow without running the compressor to conserve energy.
- Filter check light: It’s difficult to remember the last time you checked the filter without a reminder that it’s time to check it again. The check filter light glows when a predetermined number of operating hours have gone by, reminding you that it’s time to check the filter again. Replace the filter every three months at a minimum.
- Automatic-delay fan switch: Instead of letting all that cooled air in the ductwork go to waste, this feature leaves the fan running for a few minutes longer than the compressor to force conditioned air into the living space.
- Quiet operation: While it doesn’t contribute to energy efficiency, quiet operation is another technology worth seeking.
For more information about advanced A/C features, please contact Byrd Heating and Air Conditioning in Savannah today.