One of the best ways to save energy in your Savannah area home is by making your existing equipment and appliances more efficient. Since an air conditioner is one of the biggest energy drainers in any home, it’s smart to make it the first thing to focus on. There are several steps you should take to optimize the potential of your system, most of which are relatively simple and inexpensive to do, but will result in worthwhile energy savings. Find out how to improve air conditioner efficiency and start enjoying the benefits today.
Improving Air Conditioner Efficiency
Boosting air conditioner efficiency comes with added benefits, on top of lowering your utility costs. The life of your system will be extended, indoor air quality will be healthier and your carbon footprint will be reduced. Perform the following steps to improve efficiency:
- Replace or clean the air filter every month to avoid it getting clogged with dust and allergens.
- Turn on ceilings fans in occupied rooms so you won’t have to rely on the A/C as much. You’ll save between 3 and 5 percent for each degree higher you set the thermostat.
- Keep humidity in check by using exhaust fans when you shower or cook, instead of using the A/C.
- Install a programmable thermostat so you can ensure your home’s comfortable when you’re there, but make sure the programmable thermostat goes into energy-savings mode when you’re away or asleep.
- Close all the doors and windows in your home on hot days and/or when you need to use the A/C. Open windows when mornings and evenings are cool.
- Get a professional tuneup every year. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, annual maintenance appointments are a necessary part of having an efficient system that performs at its best.
For more information on improving air conditioner efficiency in your Savannah area home, feel free to contact us at >Byrd Heating and Air Conditioning anytime.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com