It can get chilly along Georgia’s coast. Discovering you need a furnace replacement in the middle of January or February when the temps hit their lowest point isn’t good. Now’s a great time to check your furnace to make sure it’ll keep you and your family warm when the cooler weather hits. Here are some signs that will tell you whether it’s time to replace your furnace.
You Should Consider a Furnace Replacement If…
- Your furnace is more than 15 years old. Most reliable furnaces last about 20 to 30 years. You can find the age of your furnace in your owner’s manual. If you don’t have the owner’s manual, call the manufacturer with the unit’s model number.
- Your furnace needs constant repairs.
- Your energy bills increase despite normal usage.
- Your house becomes unevenly heated — some rooms are colder or hotter than other rooms.
- Your furnace cycles on and off more than normal.
- Your furnace begins to continually rattle, hum or buzz.
- Your furnace begins to spew out dust, soot, dirt or rust particles.
- You notice rust in and around your furnace, or cracking or corroding components.
- Your furnace has an AFUE (annual fuel utilization efficiency) below 80 percent. The AFUE rating shows your furnace’s efficiency level. HIgh-efficiency systems can reach above 90 percent.
Contact an HVAC professional to inspect your furnace. An HVAC professional can measure your furnace’s efficiency level. You may only need minor repair work, a filter change or a new thermostat.
If you do need to replace your furnace, it’s recommended that you install an Energy Star-certified furnace because they could help you save significantly on your energy bill.
When you want to know more about furnace replacement, contact Byrd Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc. today. We’ve proudly served Savannah residents for more than 25 years.